Heather is the CEO of Key Legal Group, LLC, a woman-owned law firm, that provides concierge legal service to its select clients. Heather is a savvy Utah real estate broker in addition to being an accomplished and ambitious trial attorney. Heather is the co-owner of Endurance Real Estate, a boutique real estate brokerage.
In 2020, she was elected to be the President of the Utah State Bar, serving until July 2022. Before that, she was elected twice by the lawyers and judges in Salt Lake to serve as their Bar Commissioner. Heather also serves on the Access to Justice Commission. She is a member of the Sutherland Inn of Court and a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
Heather is the former chair of the Utah State Bar’s Litigation Section and is the architect of the Annual Judicial Excellence Awards and Annual CLE & Shenanigans program held in Moab as well as the Health & Wellness program.
Heather also served as a commissioner on the Salt Lake Historic Landmarks Commission, which means Heather is well versed in state and local real estate, regulations, and ordinances and their application.
She was born and raised in Salt Lake County. After obtaining a Bachelor of Science in business from the University of Utah, where she graduated cum laude, she received her Juris Doctorate from the University of Utah. Ms. Thuet was in the top 5% of her graduating law school class, earning her the prestigious distinction of Order of the Coif. Additional information about Heather is available at www.Key.Legal
- University of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law, J.D.
- Order of the Coif (top 5% of graduating class)
- Utah Law Review 2002-2003
- William H. Leary Scholar, 2001-2004
- Judicial intern, Associate Chief Justice Matthew B. Durrant, Utah Supreme Court
- Judicial intern, the Hon. Robert K. Hilder, Third Judicial District Court
- University of Utah (B.S. 2001; Business Administration, cum laude)
- President’s Award (outstanding scholastic achievement)
- Attorney of the Year 2017, Construction Defect & Dispute Conference.
- Bar President’s Award for outstanding service and distinction during 2016.
- Litigation Section Distinguished Service Award, 2016.
- Featured in Women in the Law 2016, Attorney at Law Magazine, Vol. 4 No. 1.
- Featured in Law Day supplement commemorating Magna Carta, Utah Media Group, April 26, 2015.
- Mountain States Super Lawyer in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- Recognized by Utah Business Magazine as 2018 Utah Legal Elite in Real Estate.
- Admitted to practice in Utah, Federal District of Utah and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
SELECTED LECTURES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Key Note Address – Utah Celebrates Pro Bono Kick Off at S.J. Quinney Colege of Law, October 2019
- “Diversity and Inclusion in the Profession” CLE presentation by Heather L. Thuet at the Utah Law and Justice Center, April 2018
- “The Gamble of Innovation: Does the Payoff Justify the Risk? Speed to Market Should Not Mean Reckless to Market: Avoiding the Legal Risks of Innovation,” ALFA International 2019 International Client Seminar, Ritz Carlton, Laguna Niguel, Dana Point, California, March 1, 2019.
- “Free and Low Cost Resources in Utah,” Good4Utah, March 20, 2018.
- “Licensed Lawyer,” co-sponsored by Affordable Attorneys for All Task Force and Litigation Section, Utah State Bar, March 14, 2018.
- “Principled Negotiation – When to Hold ‘Em and When to Fold ‘Em” CLE presentation by Hether L.Thuet at the 4th Annual Intermountain Contruction Defect & Dispute Conference
- “Tips and Tricks to Avoiding a Mediation Meltdown” CLE presentation by Heather L. Thuet at Utah Law and Justice Center, November 2017
- “Diversity and Inclusion in the Profession,” New Lawyer Training Program Ethics, Utah State Bar, October 19, 2017.
- “Enforceability of Pre-Injury Waivers/Release of Claims for Injury and Death,” ALFA International PLCT Compendium, August 2017.
- “Programs added to Bar’s New Lawyer Training Program” – Utah State Bar Journal pg. 10 – July/Aug 2017
- “Successful Mediation,” Utah Council on Conflict Resolution, Utah State Bar, July 13, 2017.
- “An Insider’s Guide to Judicial Selection, Retention, and Misconduct,” panel presenter with Chief Justice Matthew B. Durrant, Ron Gordon, Jennifer Yim, Brian S. King and Alex Peterson, Utah State Bar, March 30, 2017.
- “Preventing the Mediation Meltdown: A Survival Guide to Preparing for Mediation,” Utah State Bar Summer Convention, Coronado, California, July 2016.
- “Practical Effects of Rules of Civility,” United States District Court, June 22, 2016.
- “Winning the Battle, Losing the War: Summary Judgment as a Tool in Construction Defect Claims,” 2nd Annual Intermountain Construction Defect & Dispute Conference, February 5, 2016.
- “Avoiding Legal Malpractice Claims: Practical and Ethical Tips for Beginning and Ending Client Relationships,” United States District Court, December 8, 2015.
- “Get Ready, Get Excited, It’s Coming Soon,” Message from the Chair, The Zealous Advocate, a newsletter of the Litigation Section, November 2015.
- “Behind Closed Doors: An Insider’s View on the Rise of Mediation,” American Bar Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, July 2015.
- “The Judicial Perspective on Litigation: What Works and What Does Not,” moderate panel of Utah judges consisting of Hon. Michele M. Christiansen (Utah Court of Appeals), Hon. Barry G. Lawrence (2nd Judicial District), and Hon. Thomas L. Kay (2nd Judicial District), 2015 Utah State Bar Summer Convention in Sun Valley Idaho.
- “Ethical Issues of Beginning and Ending Client Relationships,” American Bar Association Midyear Meeting in Tampa Bay, Florida, May 14, 2015
- “What goes on Behind Closed Doors in Mediation,” Utah State Bar Spring Convention, St. George, Utah, March 13, 2015
- “Medical Aesthetic Malpractice: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly,” American Association of Justice annual convention in Baltimore, Maryland, July 29, 2014.
- “What Goes On Behind Closed Doors In Mediation,” Utah State Bar Summer Convention in Snowmass, Colorado, July 17, 2014.
- Presenter, “What Goes on Behind Closed Doors in Mediation,” Utah Bar Summer Convocation, 2014
- “Ethics and Professionalism,” Utah Defense Lawyers Association annual meeting, May 2014. Moderated panel presentation consisting of Judge Todd M. Shaughnessy, Billy Walker, and Judge Robert K. Hilder.
- “Jury Behavior,” Utah State Bar Summer Convention in Snowmass, Colorado, July 18, 2014. Moderate distinguished panel consisting of Hon. Glen Dawson, Hon. Kate A. Toomey, Hon. David N. Mortensen and Hon. Clark A. McClellan.
- Presenter, E-filing in State Court, Utah States Bar Modest Means kick-off, 2013
- Presenter, “Medical Aesthetic Malpractice: The Good, the Bad, and the UGLY”, American Association of Justice, Annual Meeting, 2014
- Presenter, “Personal Injury Lawsuits with a Medicare Beneficiary,” Weber County Bar Association, 2011
- Co-author, “Utah Law Update,” annual Christensen & Jensen publication summarizing Utah liability law
- Judge Pro Tempore (serving third term), Salt Lake Justice Court, 2008-present
- Commissioner, Salt Lake City Historic Landmark Commission, 2012-2016
- Salt Lake Land Use Appeals Board, 2011-2012
- Commission Salt Lake City Historic Landmarks 2012-current
- Heather L. Thuet announces nine judicial recipients of the 2015 Judicial Excellence Award in Sun Valley, Idaho:
- Presiding Judge Lyle R. Anderson (Seventh District)
- Judge Glen R. Dawson (Second District)
- Judge Royal I. Hansen (Third District)
- Judge Thomas L. Kay (Second District)
- Presiding Judge David N. Mortensen (Fourth District)
- Judge Derek P. Pullan (Fourth District)
- Judge Todd M. Shaughnessy (Third District)
- Judge G. Michael Westfall (Fifth District) article here
- Associate Presiding Judge Thomas L. Willmore (First District)