MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT LORI W. NELSON
December is upon us. I love this time of year. There is so much happening and so many opportunities for doing good that the whole world seems happier. Many of you may be participating in the annual law firm competition to donate to the Utah Food Bank. Many others may be participating in Sub-for-Santa programs, or other similar programs to help those in need. Thank you for all you do to give back.
I wanted to report on the contribution to the S.J. Quinney School of Law building the commission voted to approve. The Bar will be donating approximately $49,500 to the law school building after counting the 113 individuals that opted out (which totaled $500.28 in reduction in the contribution). This building will provide many benefits to Bar members and to the Bar itself in providing space that is more conducive to our large activities with significant technological benefits. We are hoping to be able to use the building’s services to provide live, real-time CLE state wide. This will assist those in rural areas to participate in CLE programs based in Salt Lake.
Also, watch for a message in the next few weeks regarding Modest Means. That program is designed to match attorneys who agree to work for a reduced rate with individuals who do not qualify for a pro bono attorney but cannot afford legal services without assistance. The Bar is looking for attorneys to participate in the program and for others to be a Modest Means Mentor. This is not the mentoring program, but a separate program that allows an experienced attorney to provide mentoring on a one-time, or short-term basis to assist a Modest Means attorney in working through a case.
I hope everyone has the Spring Convention calendared. The dates are March 14-16 and I know the committee has been working hard to put together a great program for you. Also, mark your calendars for the annual Summer Convention in Snowmass/Aspen. The dates for that convention are July 17-20. We are working to put together CLE and activities that will make the event memorable for attorneys and their entire families.
Happy Holidays, to all!
December 2012 E-News
- Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice
- Annual Food & Clothing Drive 12.14.12
- CLE Calendar
- Nominations for Bar President-elect
- Bar Commission Openings
- Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice – The Utah State Bar is soliciting applications from criminal defense attorneys to serve on the Utah Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice. The Commission’s purpose is to promote broad philosophical agreement concerning the objectives of the criminal and juvenile justice system in Utah and to provide a mechanism for coordinating the functions of the various branches and levels of government concerned with criminal and juvenile justice. The Commission also coordinates statewide efforts to reduce crime and victimization in Utah. The Governor will select a representative for a four-year term from a list of three criminal defense attorneys submitted by the Bar. Interested criminal defense attorneys may send a resume to Christy Abad at email@example.com by December 14, 2012.
- Annual Food & Clothing Drive – Mark the date for our 23rd Anniversary of our Annual Food & Clothing Drive. Leonard Burningham is organizing the event which will be held Friday, December 14th, 2012. Volunteers are needed at firms and organizations to coordinate the distribution of e-mails and flyers to firm and organization members. Donations can be dropped off at the rear of the Utah Law & Justice Center from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. where volunteers will be glad to help unload! Volunteer Lawyers make a difference every day; this will be the easiest representation you have ever undertaken, and it will be one of the most rewarding. More information can be found online at http://www.utahbar.org/members/foodclothingdrive.html.
- Check out the numerous CLE seminar offerings through the Utah State Bar CLE Department: http://www.utahbar.org/cle/events/ and/or the Section lunches: http://www.utahbar.org/cle/events/html/section_luncheons.html. If you have specific ideas for CLE please send those to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nominations for Bar President-elect – The Board of Bar Commissioners is requesting nominations to the office of Bar President-elect. Applicants for the office of President-elect must submit their notice of candidacy to the Board of Bar Commissioners by January 2, 2013. Applicants are given time at the January Board meeting (January 25, 2013) to present their views. Secret balloting for nomination by the Board to run for the office of President-elect will then commence. Any candidate receiving the Commissioners’ majority votes shall be nominated to run for the office of President-elect. Balloting shall continue until two nominees are selected. If you have any questions concerning this procedure, please contact John C. Baldwin at (801) 531-9077 or at email@example.com.
- Bar Commission Openings – Nominations to the office of Bar Commissioner are hereby solicited for two members from the Third Division, one member from the Second Division, each to serve a three-year term. Terms will begin in July 2013. To be eligible for the office of Commissioner from a division, the nominee’s business mailing address must be in that division as shown by the records of the Bar. Applicants must be nominated by a written petition of ten or more members of the Bar in good standing whose business mailing addresses are in the division from which the election is to be held. Nominating petitions are available at http://www.utahbar.org/elections/commission_elections.html. Completed petitions must be submitted to John Baldwin, Executive Director, no later than February 1, 2013 by 5:00 p.m.