MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT CURTIS M JENSEN
The Summer Convention in Snowmass
was an exciting beginning to my tenure as Bar President. From serious break-out sessions to fun times with the family and colleagues in the Rockies, and from learning about the difference between mastodons and mammoths to hearing about how the courts failed in Nazi Germany — I was constantly reminded about the value of our profession and the great people we get to work with at the Utah State Bar. See what a great time was had by all: http://summerconvention.utahbar.org/snowmassjournal.html
Last year on Constitution Day, nearly 200 Utah lawyer and judge volunteers went into social studies classrooms across the state and taught students about the separation of powers and the importance of an independent judiciary. In coordination with the teachers, and by means of a role-playing experience, these lawyers and judges presented new terms and concepts celebrating the Constitution and gave students a hands-on opportunity to apply fundamental Constitutional rights. Please participate in the Bar’s Second Annual Constitution Day, Tuesday September 17.
How it works:
- Watch for an e-mail from the Bar that classes have been posted
- Then, check http://civics.utahbar.org/findaclass.html to find a 45 to 90 minute class to teach.
- Attend a free, one-hour CLE at the Bar to review materials and presentation: Wednesday, September 4 from 5p.m. to 6 p.m., including a light dinner or Thursday, September 5 from 12noon to 1 p.m., including lunch. The program will be recorded and made available online at http://civics.utahbar.org/resources.html, where you will also find program materials.
August 2013 E-News
- 2nd District Juvenile Court Launches Mentor Program for Court-Involved Youth
- National Pro Bono Celebration October 20-26
- Fall Forum November 14-15 Keynotes & Schedule Available
2nd District Juvenile Court Launches Mentor Program for Court-Involved Youth
– The Second District Juvenile Court has launched a volunteer mentor program to benefit court-involved youth—Orientation and training session is planned for August 30. Contact Second District Juvenile Court Program Coordinator Steven Jensen at 801-447-3969 or email@example.com
Mark your calendars for these Fall events from the Bar:
National Pro Bono Celebration, October 20-26—University of Utah Pro Bono Initiative Awards Luncheon at the S.J. Quinney College of Law, Salt Lake City, Monday October 21, 12:00 to 1:30 p.m.; Awards Reception, Tuesday October 22 at Utah Valley University; and a showing of the film Crime After Crime Wednesday October 23.
Attorneys are encouraged to serve the public through these ongoing programs: Tuesday Night Bar and Street Law Legal Clinics in Salt Lake City and Tuesday Night Bar at Utah Valley University on Tuesday October 22, and Debtor’s Counseling Clinic on October 24 in Salt Lake City. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to participate.
Fall Forum at the Little America Hotel, November 14 and 15—Keynotes program and speaker information, along with the tentative breakout program schedule, are available at http://fallforum.utahbar.org/. Watch for the brochure in the September/October edition of the Utah Bar Journal. Online registration begins the first week of September!
August Continuing Legal Education
—See the Bar’s numerous CLE seminar and section luncheons, including an Evening with the Third District Court on August 21
: CLE Calendar
(green dots indicate seminars and gold dots indicate section luncheons; you can also filter for either on top left).
“Please let me know if you have a question or comment.”