The Modest Means Lawyer Referral program helps people with modest incomes and assets get legal help in Utah at discounted rates, helping to realize the Bar’s vision of a just legal system that is understood, valued, and accessible to all.

If you don’t qualify because your income and assets are too low, please contact  If your income and assets are too high, please see the lawyer directory.

If you qualify, and depending on your financial situation, you will be referred to lawyer who charges up to $50 or $75 an hour, or a corresponding flat fee.  Hourly or flat-fee services often require advance payment (a retainer).

Answer these three questions to see if you qualify.  There is a $25 non-refundable application fee requiring a credit card,  so please be sure that you qualify. If you don’t have a credit card you can print this application and mail it to us.

STEP 1. Do we offer the legal help you need?  We are unable to help in some areas, including but not limited to:  personal injury, disability, contracts outside of consumer law, constitution, attorney malpractice, federal claims, immigration, or intellectual property).  We do offer help in these areas:

  • Adoption and Guardianship
    (including minors and protected persons who are adults)
  • Appeal
  • Bankruptcy
  • Consumer
  • Criminal
  • Criminal (in juvenile court)
  • Expungement
  • Family (divorce, protective order, etc.)
  • Foreclosure
  • Landlord/Tenant
  • Mechanics Lien
  • Real Property
  • Small Claim
  • Traffic
  • Will, Trust, Estate, or Probate

STEP 2. Do you qualify?   Please note that your lawyer may ask additional questions during the intake process to confirm your eligibility for the program.  Your lawyer has the final say in the qualification process.

On the row that matches your “Persons,” your income needs to be between the minimum and maximum figures listed.  Also, your assets cannot exceed the maximum figure noted on your row.2014 figures.

Persons in Family/Household

Minimum  Annual   Income

Maximum  Annual   Income

Maximum  Assets

































Persons include spouse/partner and dependent (not roommates who live independently).  A dependent is a person living in your household where more than 50% of their livelihood is provided by you.

Annual Income includes income from adults or children where the income is used on household expenses (not including, for example, a child who makes $50 a week babysitting to save for college).

Assets do not need to include:

  1. Your primary residence.
  2. One vehicle per driver in your household used primarily for transportation and not used for recreational purposes.
  3. Up to $3,500 of the fair market value of work-related tools and equipment.
  4. d.   Insurance proceeds, judgments, or settlements that are compensation for bodily injury or wrongful death to the client or to someone for whom the client is or was a dependent.
  5. Cash value of any life insurance policies.
  6. Pensions, IRA, 401(K), or retirement plans.

STEP 3. Do you need help from a Utah lawyer practicing in Utah?

If you answered yes to all three questions, please proceed to STEP 4 to make your $25 non-refundable application fee payment.  Once we have received your payment, we will e-mail you the application within two business days.

STEP 4. Pay for your Modest Means Request>>>