Active Status Lawyers Complying 2014 and 2016 Requirements
A minimum of 24 hours of accredited CLE which shall include a minimum of 3 hours of accredited ethics or professional responsibility. One of the three hours of ethics or professional responsibility shall be in the area of professionalism and civility. Lawyers on inactive status are not subject to the requirements of this rule.
Summary of the New Lawyer Training Programs (NLTP)
The Utah State Board of CLE established specific rules governing new lawyers during their first two-year MCLE reporting period. The first two-year reporting period ends on June 30 of the second complete year following the new lawyer’s year of admission to the Bar. By the end of the two-year reporting period, new lawyers must have completed the following CLE requirements.
- New Lawyer Training Program: New lawyers are required to complete the twelve-month NLTP mentoring term during their first year of admission to the Bar. Upon completion, new lawyers will receive 12 NLCLE hours.
- New Lawyer Ethics Program: New lawyers are required to attend the New Lawyer Ethics Program. This program is offered two times per calendar year, typically in the spring and the fall. New lawyers need only attend 1 seminar. This class satisfies the ethics requirement.
- In addition to the 12 NLCLE credits earned from the NLTP, new lawyers must complete 12 additional accredited MCLE hours. Frequently, the Bar’s CLE department schedules seminars particularly beneficial for new lawyers. These seminars provide the basics in common areas of practice such as Criminal Law, Family Law, Real Property and Personal Injury.
New lawyers ARE allowed to earn MCLE credits while participating in the NLTP.
Admission on Motion Requirement
Lawyers must complete and certify no later than six months following the lawyer’s admission that he or she has attended at least 15 hours CLE procedure and ethics requirements as follows. (1) Nine credit hours must be comprised of CLE courses (2) Six credit hours must be comprised of the professional ethics course presented in OPC’s ethics school. Twelve of the 15 hours may be completed through self-study through the Bar’s online CLE system. The above 15 hours will apply towards the 24 hours required per two-year compliance period.
House Counsel Annual CLE Requirement
House Counsel shall pay the designated filing fee and file with the MCLE Board by July 31 of each year a Certificate of Compliance from the jurisdiction where House Counsel maintains an active license establishing that she or he has completed the hours of continuing legal education required of active attorneys in the jurisdiction where House Counsel is licensed;
CLE Compliance Fees
- $15.00 – Filing Fee
- CLE hours must be completed by June 30th and filed no later than July 31st.
- $100.00 Late Filing Fee
- CLE hours that are completed after June 30th or filed after July 31st.
- $200.00 – Reinstatement Fee
- Plus an additional $500.00 fee if the need for reinstatement is a repeat violation within the past five years.