|Company Name||Duchesne County Attorney's Office|
|Date Posted||September 22, 2013|
This is a full-time position best for a recent or soon to be recent law school graduate or an individual beginning a career as an attorney. Position is scheduled for a regular 40 hour work week, M-F, 8:30AM to 5PM, but will frequently require longer hours according to litigation needs. Salary is Commensurate with education and experience.
Under the overall direction and supervision of the County Attorney, assist in the fulfillment of the statutory obligations of the County Attorney. Conduct research and draft memorandum and motions. Primary area of focus will be civil in nature with occasional projects on criminal cases. Appear in local State and Federal courts as assigned. Perform administrative and professional duties as needed.
Incumbent duties include, but are not limited to:
• Providing support to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the Civil Division and Criminal Division as assigned;
• Preparing legal documents such as pleadings, motions, briefs, appeals, contracts, leases, deeds;
• Attending meetings of the Duchesne County Board of Commissioners and providing legal advice and counsel regarding the matters considered and the conduct of the meeting as assigned;
• Attending elected official and department head meetings as requested and required to advise, counsel and consult with various departments and agencies of the County;
• Attending and participating in public meetings as requested and required to serve as a resource and legal voice of the County;
• Apprising County Officers regarding various legal issues related to statute, ordinance, policies and practice;
• Drafting resolutions and ordinances for consideration by the County Commission;
• Assisting in the development of administrative procedures for County departments and agencies;
• Assisting department heads in budget preparation and submitting other recommendations when solicited;
• Investigating and providing opinion as to the validity of claims against the County;
• Negotiating with persons in the private sector on legal issues pertaining to County government;
• Providing legal advice to Duchesne County Sheriff’s Office as requested, required and directed;
• Providing legal advice to law enforcement agencies within the County as requested;
• Performing research and analysis of law sources such as statutes, recorded judicial decisions, legal articles, treaties, constitutions and legal codes;
• Preparing and assisting litigate cases arising out of County civil activities;
• Providing legal representation in court for and on behalf of the County in civil and regulatory matters as assigned;
• Providing assistance coordinating with outside counsel engaged to represent the County’s interests;
• Assisting in the Representation of County elected officers, department heads and employees before federal and state court and federal, state and local administrative agencies; and
• Performing other job related duties as assigned by the County Attorney and Deputy County Attorneys, including but not limited to prosecution of felonies and misdemeanors in district court, juvenile court and justice court as needed.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (NOT LIMITED), EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Graduation from an ABA accredited law school with a Juris Doctorate Degree on or before December 31, 2013;
• Take and pass the Utah State Bar no later than February 2014; and
• Be admitted to the Utah State Bar, and be a member in good standing no later than the date that new bar members are sworn in following the February 2014 Bar Exam.
MUST INCLUDE WRITING SAMPLE (BRIEF, MEMO, PLEADING, ETC) ALONG WITH COVER LETTER, RÉSUME, AND COUNTY APPLICATION ATTN: County Attorney
Applications may be downloaded at the County website at http://duchesne.ut
Applications may be downloaded at the County website at http://duchesne.utah.gov
In person: Duchesne County Administrative Office Building, 734 N Center St, Monday through Friday 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM.
By Mail: ATTN: Personnel Officer: Duchesne County Administrative Office Building P.O. Box 346, Duchesne, Utah 84021-0346
DUCHESNE COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND COMMITTED TO EMPLOYING A DIVERSIFIED WORKFORCE